Thursday, May 24, 2007

browsing the book







While browsing through the book I didn't really get a chance to look at every single page, but I did look at every single picture. I guess that evey picture is worth a thousand words, but to me I really just looked at them to decide if our professor was correct. At first I didn't agree with him that every story is a retelling, but after just looking at the pictures in the book I realized that he was right. For example the picture of the cover for the home alone movies, is a retelling of the painting done my Edvard Munch in 1893 called The Scream.



I also never realized that there were so many different tellings of the same story. I have never been exposed to these different tellings before monday, except for one time when I was really little, and The Little Mermaid had just came out my friend Laura had a different version of the movie than that of the one that I had seen. In her version Arial had blond hair and her mother was alive and part of the movie. In the Disney version Arial had red hair and her mother was dead, or not there. At the time I just thought that my friends' version was stupid, but it probably was just a different retelling of the story that I was used to. I wish know that I would have paid more attention to the different version of the story.

No comments: