Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Change



Ovid's Metamorhposis veiw on death was something that I wanted to write about because I have recently lost one of my very best friends. Her name was Sara Vigen and she got into a car accident on May 5, and passed away. I was haveing a really hard time dealing with everything that was going on in school and in my personal life now that she is gone. I was begining to act very resentful of people and of my religion. I was not headed in the write direction. When Mr. Sexson stared to talk about how Ovid's Metamorphoses describes death I realized that I agree completely. Nothing ever dies, it only changes. This line really helped me get through a tough time and I will remember this through out my entire life. A metamorphoses is a change which is exactly what I believe happens when someone dies. I don't believe in reincarnation, the belief that something is made flesh again, but a metamorphoses. An example of this would be the fact that if you write something down it will live forever in literature and in memories. The poem, Shall I Compare Thee to a Summers Day, says in its last couplet, "so long as men have eyes and eyes can read, so long lives this, and this gives life to thee." That says almost the same thing as nothing ever dies it only changes. The only thing is that you have to write it down. Sara was a great person who loved poetry, and she has changed into memories and Literature, she had not died.

No comments: