Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Tempest


The word tempest means a storm. The wikipedia explaniation of the play is a comedy, but lately it is being stated as a romance. I agree with both. The love story is the overall and constnet setting of the play, but the comedy is interwoven throughout the entire play. Before reading this play I didn't have any idea that Shakespeare wrote comedy. I thought that he only wrote very sad and love stories. This is because I had only really payed attention to the play called Romeo and Juliet, and this was only because there was a movie made of it that had Lenarod DiCaprio in it. He used to be the in thing. Getting back to the Tempest, I found it very interesting that words that were written about four hundred years ago are still funny today. I guess that times haven't changed that much, no matter what my parents and grandparents say. HA! HA! The parts of the play that are funny are things that are related to everyday events that we encounter now in these "modern" times. These events have changed throughout time, but the deeper meaning is still the same. This leads me to the point that the word modern really has no meaning. If something that was written four hundred years ago still makes sense today and can still be related to life in today's society then it cannot be a modern time that we are living in today. When these plays and poems that are written many years ago start to not make sense or are totally unrelateable to life, that is when we can call today modern.

No comments: